I could be dead now, ' Olson told ABC.
Mahlum credited the first aid training Brown received as a member of the La Crosse Police Explorers with averting a tragedy.
He gave Olson the Heimlich maneuver and was able to dislodge the food from his throat. "And when I saw Ian actually get up and start doing the Heimlich, I felt better, I felt safer", said Olson.
The incident was caught on camera and Brown is now being called a hero.
Brown is being praised for his quick thinking and calmness under pressure.
Olsen said he also knew exactly what to do when he started choking. If your arms are too high, "it's not going to work", he said.
"I could've been dead", said Olsen, "I could be dead now". I'm thankful. I can't say thank you enough for what he did.
Olson said learning lifesaving techniques is now on his agenda, but eating Chinese food again is not.
He appeared very calm and said, 'OK this is the situation.
It happened at Central High School in La Crosse, Wis. on Wednesday when video shows student Will Olson choking at lunch.
La Crosse Police offers a program - Police Explorer - that provides young people with "a personal awareness of the criminal injustice system through training, practical experiences, competition, and other activities".
In video footage shared on the school's Facebook page, Olsen is seen coughing and then holding his stomach.