Embassy Seeks To Meet Woman Held With Indonesian Passport

Adjust Comment Print

A second suspect has been arrested in connection with the death of the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, Malaysia's state news agency Bernama says.

One of the men - believed to be a North Korean intelligence officer - may have disguised himself as a woman during the attack, NST revealed.

A female AirAsian staffer escorted Kim Jong Nam to the airport clinic and sat him down in an armchair, where he suddenly shut his eyes and slumped over, his face twisted in pain, NST said.

Kuala Lumpur: Two women and one man have now been arrested in relation to the assassination in Kuala Lumpur of the playboy half-brother of North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un, who died after a possible poison attack at the airport this week.

A senior Malaysian police official told the AP that "North Korea had objected to the autopsy but Malaysia went ahead with it anyway because the North did not submit a formal protest".

The Malaysian police detained an Indonesian woman yesterday morning and her Malaysian boyfriend on Wednesday evening, following that of a Vietnamese woman on Wednesday.

To follow up the verification process, the Indonesian embassy had requested consular access in order to ensure the woman's legal rights were fulfilled.

Kumparan, an Indonesian news portal, said Aisyah lived in the Tambora neighborhood in western Jakarta for about 10 years before moving to Malaysia in 2013 along with her husband and children. Footage aired on state media showed him grim-faced, reported South Korea's Yonhap news agency, and he did not wave when he left, as is customary.

There are many theories of how the poisoning occurred, but according to South Korean's National Assembly Intelligence Committee Chairman Lee Cheol Woo, Kim was heading to Macau, a Chinese territory to see his family.

"After all the police and medical procedures are completed we may release the body to the next of kin through the embassy", he said. They fled in a taxi and were being sought by Malaysian police, the reports said. Both women have been remanded in custody for seven days pending further investigations.

Deputy Home Minister Zahid Hamidi said security is the top priority for the government.

North Korean embassy officials were seen visiting the hospital's forensics department in a diplomatic vehicle on Wednesday afternoon and again overnight.

Investigators are trying to piece together the details of a death that set off a torrent of speculation over whether Kim Jong Un dispatched a hit squad to kill his estranged older sibling.

Additionally, Mr Zahid said Malaysia-North Korea ties are not affected because of the incident.

Those who belong to the group say that Kim Jong-un wanted to get rid of his brother because Kim Jong-nam, being a key member of the Kim clan who ruled the country since 1945, could be viewed as an alternative leader if Kim Jong-un loses control of the country.

The government source declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the case.